First, We should congratulate and appreciate the effort gone in to release Drupal 8 by the Drupal community.
This was a long waited release, and at Kiluvai, we are very happy that, today, we have a stable and first release of Drupal 8.0
We want to share about new features and improvements made in Drupal 8 and how this would help users on building their websites using Drupal 8.
- Admin pages are responsive, this means you can manage your drupal 8 website from any device. for example, if your are in long travel and you want to write a blog, on your website and publish it immediately, with your phone is possible now.
- New responsive images module in core allows load images based on screen size, i.e for small screen load small image, for bigger screen load big image, this saves time and bandwidth in small screens.
- In place edit or quick edit allows you to edit the content on the same page, without navigating to edit form page.
In terms of structuring the content
- Now different comment types can be defined, so you can enable comment for users, block, terms etc.
- Comments can be added to any entity as field, so you will have more control, where you place the comment in your content.
- Contact forms with managble fields i.e you can add, edit and customize fields to your contact forms.
- Page titles and Tabs are available as block, which gives us freedom to place them in any region through "Block Layout" page.
- Even you can place a single block in multiple regions.
All above improvements in structuring the content, enable the website builders, to build the website in less time.
In terms of performance
Drupal 8 has new mechanism for caching "dyamic page cache", this is new, it caches only static portion of the page, i.e for example, if a page has username printed which is unique to each user, all the other portions are static, then this cache will ignore the username and caches other portions of the page. so this cache will work for both anonymous and authenticated users.